LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 27 St. Louis Cardinals 34
The Cardinals got only their second win of the season, after a Buccaneer rally failed to overcome a 27–6 deficit.
The Cardinals had been the last remaining NFL team never to have beaten the Buccaneers. Numerous players missed starts due to injuries, including Sean Farrell and Dave Reavis. Booker Reese made his first start, in place of the injured John Cannon. Hugh Green missed the start due to a hamstring injury, and was replaced by Robert Thompson, a rookie claimed off of waivers from Houston the previous week.
Jeff Davis' 18 tackles set a new Buccaneer record. Cardinals quarterback Neil Lomax passed for touchdowns to Roy Green and Doug Marsh in the span of 26 seconds in the third quarter, and three touchdowns in all. The Buccaneers then scored twice in 63 seconds, with a 23-yard pass from Jack Thompson to Theo Bell and a 33-yard Hugh Green interception return, closing the score to 27–20. The Buccaneers were then held scoreless until an 11-yard pass to Jimmie Giles with one second left. Tampa Stadium fans not only booed the Buccaneers, but began to cheer for the Cardinals.
When asked afterward about the Buccaneers' outlook, McKay replied, "Bleak". Some fans wore bags on their heads, one of which read, "We want Ed Biles", referring to the recently fired Houston Oilers coach.
- REFEREE: Fred Silva
- UMPIRE: Tom Hensley
- HEAD LINESMAN: Norm Kragseth
- LINE JUDGE: Bob Beeks
- BACK JUDGE: Pete Liske
- FIELD JUDGE: Don Orr
- SIDE JUDGE: Dave Parry
- CARDINALS: 11:01-1Q O'Donoghue FG52
- BUCCANEERS: 5:24-1Q Wilder 11 pass from Thompson (kick failed)
- CARDINALS: 4:10-1Q O'Donoghue FG43
- CARDINALS: 0:22-2Q Marsh 5 pass from Lomax (O'Donoghue kick)
- CARDINALS: 7:17-3Q Green 6 pass from Lomax (O'Donoghue kick)
- CARDINALS: 6:51-3Q Marsh 16 pass from Lomax (O'Donoghue kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 4:50-3Q T.Bell 23 pass from Thompson (Capece kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 2:47-3Q Green 33 interception return (Capece kick)
- CARDINALS: 1:07-4Q Love 1 run (O'Donoghue kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 0:01-4Q Giles 11 pass from Thompson (Capece kick)
- WR: #87 G. Carter
- LT: #74 G. Sanders
- LG: #60 R. Grimes
- C: #50 S. Wilson
- RG: #68 G. Yarno
- RT: #70 K. Thomas
- TE: #88 J. Giles
- WR: #89 K. House
- QB: #14 J. Thompson
- FB: #32 J. Wilder
- TE: #86 J. Obradovich
- LE: #66 B. Reese
- NT: #76 D. Logan
- RE: #63 L. Selmon
- LOLB: #51 E. Judie
- LILB: #58 J. Davis
- RILB: #52 S. Brantley
- ROLB: #56 R. Thompson
- LCB: #21 J. Holt
- RCB: #40 M. Washington
- SS: #33 M. Cotney
- FS: #34 C. Brown
- 1 Morton, 3 Capece, 5 Garcia, 22 Smith, 23 Castille, 26 Owens, 28 Carver, 29 LaBeaux, 41 Thomas, 46 Armstrong, 53 Green, 54 Wood, 55 Spradlin, 57 Leonard, 65 Stalls, 69 Arbubakrr, 72 Snell, 75 Reavis, 78 Cannon, 81 Tyler, 82 J Bell, 83 T Bell, 85 Witte, 90 White
DID NOT PLAY
- 7 Komlo, 11 Golsteyn
- 62 Farrell
- BUCCANEERS: Carver 12-48, Wilder 5-13, Owens 4-13.
- CARDINALS: Anderson 13-55, Mitchell 12-52, Love 4-12, Harrell 3-10, Morris 4-7, Lomax 1-0.
- BUCCANEERS: Thompson 30-20-212-2-3.
- CARDINALS: Thompson 30-20-212-2-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Giles 7-92, House 5-54, Wilder 4-9, Carter 2-30, T.Bell 1-23, Carver 1-4.
- CARDINALS: Marsh 6-81, Anderson 3-23, Tilley 2-25, Harrell 2-12, Mitchell 2-11, Morris 1-8, Green 1-6.
- BUCCANEERS: Green 1-33.
- CARDINALS: Perrin 1-30, Nelson 1-8.
- BUCCANEERS: Morton 2-56, Smith 1-43, Owens 1-22.
- CARDINALS: Bird 2-57, Schmitt 1-17.
- BUCCANEERS: Tyler 1-3.
- CARDINALS: Mitchell 2-44, Bird 1-6.
- BUCCANEERS: Judie 1-8, Green 0.5-5, Logan 0.5-5.
- CARDINALS: Baker 2-13, Galloway 1-3.