LOSS - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 21 Atlanta Falcons 24
MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
The Bucs have lost nine of 11 following a 2-1 start, taking a step back after finishing 9-7 a year ago in their first season under Koetter.
On Monday Night Football facing off against the playoff-bound Falcons, Jameis Winston threw for 299 yards and three TDs for the Buccaneers, including a 16-yarder to Adam Humphries that trimmed Atlanta's lead to three points with 3:51 remaining.
Winston, who also threw TD passes of 30 yards to O.J. Howard and 42 yards to Mike Evans, got the ball back with a minute left and nearly sent the game into overtime.
The third-year pro, a college teammate of Freeman's at Florida State, completed three straight passes to move the ball from his 29 to the Atlanta 36. Patrick Murray came on to try a 54-yard field goal to tie it, but the kick sailed wide right as time expired.
Winston finished 27 of 35 passing with no interceptions. He was sacked twice.
"Jameis played a heck of a game. He probably played his best game this season," coach Dirk Koetter said. "Took care of the football, was accurate, threw the deep ball with accuracy, checked it down, did a good job leading our football team".
RING OF HONOR
Former Bucs coach Jon Gruden, who's spent the past nine seasons as ESPN's game analyst on Monday Night Football, was inducted into the Ring of Honor at Raymond James Stadium during a halftime ceremony.
The coach's sons - Deuce, Mike and Jayson - led the Bucs out of the tunnel before the game as the team's honorary flag runners.
Gruden is the 11th member of the Ring of Honor, joining Hall of Famers Lee Roy Selmon, Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks, as well as Doug Williams, John Lynch, John McKay, Mike Alstott, Jimmie Giles, Paul Gruber and Malcom Glazer.
- REFEREE: John Hussey
- UMPIRE: Tony Michalek
- DOWN JUDGE: Ed Walker
- LINE JUDGE: Ron Marinucci
- FIELD JUDGE: GJimmy Buchanan
- SIDE JUDGE: Allen Baynes
- BACK JUDGE: Keith Ferguson
- REPLAY OFFICAL: Mike Wimmer
- MICROSOFT SURFACE SIDELINE OFFICIAL: not documented
- FALCONS: 06:54-1Q Hardy 6 pass from Ryan (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 01:52-1Q Howard 30 pass from Winston (Murray kick)
- FALCONS: 12:56-2Q Toilolo fumble recovery in endzone (Bryant kick)
- FALCONS: 03:12-2Q Bryant FG57
- BUCCANEERS: 08:31-3Q Evans 42 pass from Winston (Murray kick)
- FALCONS: 07:58-4Q Freeman 32 run (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 04:07-4Q Humphries 16 pass from Winston (Murray kick)
- WR: #11 D. Jackson
- TE: #45 A. Cross
- LT: #76 D. Smith
- LG: #64 K. Pamphile
- C: #62 E. Smith
- RG: #73 J. Sweezy
- RT: #77 C. Benenoch
- WR: #13 M. Evans
- TE: #80 O. Howard
- QB: #03 J. Winston
- RB: #25 P. Barber
- DE: #91 R. Ayers Jr.
- DT: #98 C. McDonald
- DT: #90 C. Baker
- DE: #92 W. Gholston
- SLB: #53 A. Glanton
- MLB: #58 K. Alexander
- WLB: #51 K. Beckwith
- CB: #29 R. Smith
- CB: #24 B. Grimes
- S: #23 C. Conte
- S: #21 J. Evans
- 7 Murray, 9 Anger, 10 Humphries, 12 Godwin, 16 Martino, 26 Robinson, 32 Rodgers, 34 Sims, 35 Elliott, 36 McClain, 37 Tandy, 43 Ward, 49 Bullough, 59 Bond, 65 Sanborn, 66 Wester, 68 Hawley, 79 O’Connor, 82 Auclair, 84 Brate, 94 Clarke, 95 Russell, 96 Siliga.
DID NOT PLAY
- 14 Fitzpatrick
- 4 Griffin, 22 Martin, 28 Hargreaves, 54 David, 67 Liedtke, 85 Wilson, 93 McCoy.
- BUCCANEERS: Barber 13-53, Winston 3-18, Jackson 1-7, Humphries 1-6.
- FALCONS: Freeman 22-126, Ward 8-40, Ryan 3-29, Gabriel 1-3, Sanu 1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Winston 35-27-299-0-3.
- FALCONS: Ryan 31-17-212-0-1.
- BUCCANEERS: Evans 5-79, Humphries 5-43, Brate 4-49, Sims 4-6, Barber 3-15, Howard 1-30, Cross 1-23, Godwin 1-18, Auclair 1-14, Jackson 1-11, Martino 1-11.
- FALCONS: Freeman 5-68, Jones 3-54, Hardy 2-33, Sanu 2-23, Gabriel 2-16, Hooper 2-12, Ward 1-6.
- BUCCANEERS: none
- FALCONS: none
- BUCCANEERS: Rodgers 2-62.
- FALCONS: Roberts 4-108.
- BUCCANEERS: Humphries 2-30.
- FALCONS: Roberts 2-17.
- BUCCANEERS: McDonald 1-3.
- FALCONS: Jarrett 0.5-1.5, Clayborn 0.5-1.5