WON - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 38 Detroit Lions 20
In the first quarter, the Buccaneers started out flat, and found themselves trailing 17–0 to the winless Detroit Lions. After trading possessions to open the game, quarterback Daunte Culpepper led the Lions on a seven-play touchdown drive to go up 7–0. On the following drive, Jeff Garcia ran into running back Carnell Williams and fumbled the ball. Daniel Bullocks recovered the ball and returned it 44 yards for a touchdown. The Lions added a field goal late in the first quarter, and led 17–0.
Early in the second quarter, Jeff Garcia quickly moved the Buccaneers down the field for their first touchdown. The Lions went three-and-out, and the Buccaneers went on another touchdown drive to trim the deficit to 17–14. Less than two minutes later, Ronde Barber intercepted Daunte Culpepper at the Detroit 24. On the very next play, Garcia connected with Jerramy Stevens, and the Buccaneers took their first lead of the game at 21–17.
On their first possession of the second half, the Lions again went three-and-out. Nick Harris punted, and Clifton Smith returned the punt 70 yards for a touchdown. Later in the third quarter, Ronde Barber intercepted Culpepper for the second time, this time returning the ball for a touchdown. Culpepper was benched and back-up quarterback Drew Stanton stepped in. By the end of the third quarter, the Lions trimmed the deficit to 35–20.
Warrick Dunn broke off a 40-yard run, and a roughing the passer penalty put Tampa Bay in the red zone. An unnecessary roughness penalty, along with Garcia being tripped by him own man, however, forced the Buccaneers to settle for a fourth quarter Matt Bryant field goal.
With 8 minutes remaining, the Lions received a punt and Daunte Culpepper returned to the game. Culpepper's pass was complete to John Standeford, but he fumbled and Tampa Bay recovered. They did not surrender the ball again, and ran out the clock to seal the victory.
- REFEREE: William Carollo
- UMPIRE: Bill Schuster
- HEAD LINESMAN: John Schleyer
- LINE JUDGE: Gary Arthur
- SIDE JUDGE: James Coleman
- FIELD JUDGE: Scott Edwards
- BACK JUDGE: Bob Waggoner
- REPLAY OFFICAL: Jimmy Oldham
- VIDEO OPERATOR: not documented
- LIONS: 06:07-1Q Johnson 15 pass from Culpepper (Hanson kick)
- LIONS: 04:40-1Q Bullocks 44 fumble return (Hanson kick)
- LIONS: 00:11-1Q Hanson FG38
- BUCCANEERS: 11:19-2Q Dunn 13 run (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 04:40-2Q Hillard 36 pass from Garcia (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 03:00-2Q Stevens 24 pass from Garcia (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 11:31-3Q C.Smith 70 punt return (Bryant kick)
- BUCCANEERS: 09:01-3Q Barber 65 interception return (Bryant kick)
- LIONS: 02:41-3Q Hanson FG40
- BUCCANEERS: 12:48-4Q Brysnt FG48
- WR: #89 A. Bryant
- LT: #70 D. Penn
- LG: #78 A. Sears
- C: #52 J. Faine
- RG: #75 D. Joseph
- RT: #65 J. Trueblood
- TE: #88 J. Gilmore
- WR: #80 M. Clayton
- QB: #07 J. Garcia
- FB: #35 B. Askew
- RB: #28 W. Dunn
- LE: #93 K. Carter
- DT: #95 C. Hovan
- DT: #71 J. Haye
- RE: #90 G. Adams
- SLB: #59 C. June
- MLB: #51 B. Ruud
- WLB: #55 D. Brooks
- LCB: #31 P. Buchanon
- RCB: #20 R. Barber
- SS: #21 S. Piscitelli
- FS: #28 T. Jackson
- 3 Bryant, 9 Bidwell, 19 Hilliard, 22 Smith, 24 Williams, 25 Talib, 26 Allen, 30 Nicholson, 33 Cook, 43 Mack, 48 Economos, 50 McCoy, 57 Hayward, 58 Black, 76 Zuttah, 79 Mahan, 84 Galloway, 86 Stevens, 87 Clark, 91 White, 97 Wilkerson, 98 Sims
DID NOT PLAY
- 12 McCown
- 8 Griese, 10 Jackson, 11 Johnson, 23 Phillips, 39 Herron, 77 Lee, 81 Smith, 96 Peterson
- BUCCANEERS: Dunn 14-90, Williams 16-27, Askew 1-3, Garcia 1- (-1).
- LIONS: Jones 15-76, Johnson 1-32, Duckett 4-30, Kitna 4-9.
- BUCCANEERS: Garcia 45-37-316-0-2.
- LIONS: Smith 16-86, R.Johnson 4-16, Culpepper 2-6.
- BUCCANEERS: Dunn 5-37, Bryant 4-48, Hilliard 2-51, Stevens 2-29.
- LIONS: C.Johnson 3-66, McDonald 2-21, Cason 2-18, Standeford 1-18, Fitzsimmons 1-8, Norris 1-3.
- BUCCANEERS: Barber 2-67.
- LIONS: none.
- BUCCANEERS: C.Smith 5-142.
- LIONS: Cason 7-154.
- BUCCANEERS: C.Smith 4-90, Hilliard 1-0.
- LIONS: McDonald 3-34.
- BUCCANEERS: Wilkerson 2-24, White 1-9, Adams 1-2.
- LIONS: Smith 2-13, Team 1-7, Nece 1-5, Avril 1-2, Darby 1-2